For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (Act), the data controller is village-on-the-web ltd of 17 Elmfield Avenue, York YO31 9LX. Our nominated representative for the purpose of the Act is Simon Main.
COLLECTING PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Examples of Personal Information collected: version of web browser, IP address, time zone, cookie information, what sites or products you view, search terms, and how you interact with the Site.
- Purpose of collection: to load the Site accurately for you, and to perform analytics on Site usage to optimise our Site.
- Source of collection: collected automatically when you access our Site using cookies or tags.
- Disclosure for a business purpose: shared with our processor Shopify
- Examples of Personal Information collected: name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including debit/credit card numbers), email address, and phone number.
- Purpose of collection: to provide products to you to fulfil our contract, to process your payment, arrange for shipping, and provide you with invoices and/or order confirmations, communicate with you, screen our orders for potential risk or fraud, and when in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services (in the form of a newsletter).
- Source of collection: collected from you.
- Disclosure for a business purpose: shared with our processor Shopify.
Customer Support Information
- Examples of Personal Information collected: As above.
- Purpose of collection: to provide customer support.
- Source of collection: collected from you.
Disclosure for a business purpose: None
STORING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
The transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Whilst we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
SHARING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may share your Personal Information with services providers to help us provide our services and fulfil our contracts with you, as described above. For example:
- We use Shopify to power our online store. You have read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy.
- We may share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
USING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use your Personal Information to provide our services to you, which includes: offering products for sale, processing payments, shipping and fulfilment of your order, and keeping you up to date on new products, services and offers.
Pursuant to the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), if you are a resident of the European Economic Area (“EEA”), we process your personal information under the following lawful bases:
- Your consent
- The performance of the contract between you and the Site
- Compliance with our legal obligations
- To protect your vital interests
- To perform a task carried out in the public interest
- For our legitimate interests, which do not override your fundamental rights and freedoms.
When you place an order through the site, we will retain your Personal Information for our records unless and until you ask us to erase this information. For more information on your right of erasure, please see the “Your rights” section below.
If you are a resident of the EEA, you have the right to object to processing based solely on automated decision-making (which includes profiling), when that decision-making has a legal effect on you or otherwise significantly affects you.
We do not engage in fully-automated decision-making that has a legal or otherwise significant effect using customer data.
Our processor Shopify uses limited automated decision-making to prevent fraud that does not have a legal or otherwise significant effect on you.
Services that include elements of automated decision-making include:
- Temporary denylist of IP addresses associated with repeated failed transactions. This denylist persist for a small number of hours.
- Temporary denylist of credit cards associated with denylisted IP addresses. This denylist persists for a small number of days.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes.
You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at village-on-the-web ltd, 17 Elmfield Avenue, York, YO31 9LX or email@example.com.
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from other websites, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
If you are a resident of the EEA, you have the right to access the Personal Information we hold about you, to port it to a new service, and to ask that your Personal Information be corrected, updated or erased. If you would like to exercise these rights, or if you would like to designate an authorised agent to submit these requests on your behalf, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a resident of California, you have the right to access the Personal information we hold about you (also known as the ‘Right to Know’), to port it to a new service, and to ask that your Personal information be corrected, updated or erased. If you would like to exercise these rights, or if you would like to designate an authorised agent to submit these requests on your behalf, please contact us at email@example.com.
For more information about any of our privacy policies and practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to 17 Elmfield Avenue, York, United Kingdom, YO31 9LX.
If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you have the right to lodge your complaint with the relevant data protection authority. You can contact your local data protection authority, or our supervisory authority at https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint.
Last updated: March 2021