In the early 1920s, Charles Collard bought the Honiton Pottery. The buildings and facilities were very primitive. Collard's first job was to bring them up to date in partnership with his daughter Joan. Initially the production was similar to the Crown Dorset Pottery in its later years under Collard. After a year or so, Collard made some innovations to the processes that were to remain in effect until he retired in 1947 and which gave Honiton pottery its individual stamp. The business began to expand and by the late 1930s around thirty people were employed at the pottery.
In the early 1930s a catalogue was produced showing as many of the different styles of decoration as possible and all of the 106 shapes available. The pottery was exported all over the world, for example to Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the United States, the Malay States, France, Africa, India, China, Denmark, Bermuda and British Columbia.
These successful years were brought to an abrupt end by the Second World War. Gradually the workers were called up to join the forces or some other wartime occupation. Restrictions were placed on potteries by the Government so that they were only allowed to make undecorated ware for sale in the home market or decorated ware for export, but of course this market was very limited. The pottery was closed during the Second World War, although Collard and his daughter maintained the pottery so that it could reopen again in peace time.
In October 1945 the pottery slowly came back to life, and having got it back into production Collard sold it and retired in 1947. After that many changes took place. Use of local red clay ceased in favour of bought-in white clay. Different paints and glazes were used. Many of the workers moved to other potteries or to other employment. Post-Collard pottery continued to be produced using Collard designs and shapes, but with the different materials.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh